magazine and music magazine are extremely different, my preliminary task barley
covered any of the regular mainstream conventions whereas my coursework clearly
shows various conventions.
learning about the layouts of cover magazines F,Z and E plans I could arrange
my magazine cover in a way that looked realistic and in ways followed this
convention, I had my features in more of a C shape because of the image I
decided to use I didn't want to cover her face with words.
realise that the mast head on my prelim does not work at all, the fonts that I
have used for the features are to bold for features, and my bar code set up
looks awful. This barley follows any of the regular mainstream conventions.
shoot I did with Alice for my Preliminary task I barely took any photos so I
didn't have much choice in what photos to use in my magazine whereas my first
photo shoot for my course work I took over 100 photos and the second one I took
around 30 so overall I had a very large variety of images to choose from.
Due to not
planning when I had the studio for my preliminary task the clothes Alice was
wearing clashed with my theme colour which is why the image is in black and
white, from doing this I have discovered editing photos so they are black and
white don't look right unless it fits the genre of music or the target audience
which in my case it does not. Another problem with my bad planning is Alice's
hair wasn't down so wispy parts of hair restricted my from editing the photo as
I would of liked to.
All the knowledge I gained about technologies
helped me a great deal with the progression of my product, from my preliminary
task to my final product it is clearly visual that I have learnt more about all
the software I was using during the construction. Without the knowledge I now
have with Photoshop I could never of made the magazine I have now created.
I feel like
I have learnt a lot about what attracts people to the magazine, the golden
spiral is a vital technique I have learnt. This is why I wanted my logo in the
top left corner because its where the eye instantly goes to and then works
outwards in a spiraling shape. I think for a magazine to work there needs to be
more features than what I included on my prelim which is why my coursework had
so many features all down the left side of the cover.
In my actual
coursework I made a big statement about the model used on the cover whereas in
my preliminary task I didn't so there wasn't anything to pull the audience in.
I now know how to change the brightness of photos so I could make the
background appear whiter than it is.
page in my preliminary task didn't include anywhere near as much content and
features as it should have, the logo is to big for the contents page, the
features are to bold and the images are randomly place on the page.
in other magazine for inspiration i have learnt about the layouts of the
contents page and that the logo should be small in the top right corner and in
the bottom right corner it should be a page number. I decided to use a 3 column
layout for my coursework as its popular in other magazines so I knew it'd work
preliminary contents page looked very plain which is why in my coursework I
included more colour and images of other artists to make it more interesting, I
also had 5 sections full of content so there is plenty of interesting things to
hook my audience.
I now know
how to use the different layers on photo shop which allowed me to move
everything around and change my layout whereas before I was making the mistake
of putting things on the same layers and then having the problem where I
couldn't move one thing without everything else moving too.
make a double page spread for my preliminary task but I still learnt a lot
about the layout of the spread from researching double page spreads in other
think that I have learnt a lot since my preliminary task, my progression using
Photoshop has is the main reason my two magazines are at very different stages.